- What makes pi so fascinating?
- What are the first 6 digits of pi?
- When do we celebrate pi day?
- Pi is the number you get when you divide a circle’s circumference (the distance around the circle) by its diameter (the distance from one point on the circle to another point on the circle, passing through the center). No matter the size of the circle, this value will ALWAYS be the same!
- Pi is an irrational number, meaning when you write pi as a decimal, the digits go on and on forever without repeating! Since pi has an infinite number of digits, we cannot write down the exact value of pi, but we can estimate it. The value of pi to the first six digits is 3.14159.
- Since we commonly estimate pi as 3.14, we celebrate pi day on the 14th day of the 3rd month of the year: March 14th! You can celebrate Pi Day by helping to bake a pie, having a pi competition to see who can recite pi to the most digits, solving math problems using pi, or simply just eating some delicious pie!